Saturday, August 11, 2007

Why Mary J. Is My Girl


Mary J. Blige is the Aretha Franklin of this generation. The two songs that have ever moved me the most were 'Angel' by Aretha and 'My Life' by Mary.

I vividly remember as a teenager hearing 'My Life' for the first time. This song neatly wrapped in 3 or so minutes how I viewed my own life. It was like an awakening for me because all I wanted was for someone to walk in my shoes and feel my pain. It wasn't a song that got you more depressed about your situation. Rather it was one that made you realize that you weren't the only one. And that's very powerful to somebody who feels alone.




And let's not even mention 'Be Happy'. Every single time I hear that song even to this day I feel like Superwoman. I'll take my happiness with or without you, point blank there is nothing you can say to me.



If she never made another album, sang another song or made one more apperance ever again in life, she would still get my respect. Why? Because she isn't afraid to show vulnerability. Nobody looks at her and believes she is perfect. In the end, the music that matters is not sugary pop and bland r & b. But reflectful and meaningful music that you will remember because it touched your heart so. And this is why after all these years nobody has touched her or even tried to.





No comments: