Thursday, August 9, 2007

Giving The Old School Some Shine


I consider myself to be somewhat eclectic, but more so just weird. I've never bought into the fads and whatnot that my peers did. For some reason, I always gravitate toward things that just makes no sense whatsoever.

For example, my favorite artist is none other than the great Johnny Mathis.



Now I know for sure that there are not too many 23 year olds that would tell you that (if any). But he is, and I make no apologies for that. I just think that he is great singer. If people could drop their preconceived notions about things, a whole new world would open up for them.

Why is Johnny Mathis so great you say? Well there are a lot of reasons why. The most important though is the voice. Anything that he has ever sung was always sung with some sort of convinction. He is the King of Romance (a title I don't quite like), igniting passions for thousands of heterosexual couples everywhere while being homosexual himself. He had the first greatest hits record that stayed on the charts for some 9 years. Johnny Mathis - Johnny's Greatest Hits
He was at one point the youngest African American to become a millionaire (something we take lightly today, but this was in the fifties people). And he currently has recorded over 100 albums.


Still you say, please why should I care. He's too white bread: I agree.


But that is where I draw the line. Because then you'll say he doesn't like black people and never contributed to the community amongst other complaints. But I say you're incorrect and people felt this way about Lean Horne, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Nat King Cole. Today they are legends though, aren't they?



So if you feel like me and think that 'Wipe Me Down' makes you a little dumber everytime it falls on your ears, then get yo' self some Mathis Magic. Besides, he can get crunk too!!












Here are a few clips of Johnny Mathis :)


















No comments: